by

Miami, Boston, New York, Las Vegas – they’re all great U.S. destinations for a big-city vacation. But remember when the cost and complexity of roaming internet rates got in the way of using your device on the road like you would at home? Those days are over. Rogers has announced a revolutionary way to stay connected online when you travel to the U.S. – a change designed to make your life easier and let you surf the web just like you would at home.

The new U.S. Roaming Internet Rate from Rogers is just $7.99* per day for up to 50 MBs to use the internet on your wireless device in the U.S. How much is 50 MBs, you ask? Will it be enough for you to use your phone throughout your trip? Consider this: it’s almost twice the data a typical Rogers wireless customer uses in Canada each day. It’s enough to let you look at 200 Web pages or 50 maps; send 1,000 emails; or tweet 5,000 times.

And get this: with the new U.S. Roaming Internet Rate, you don’t need to purchase an internet option before you leave – just start surfing when you get to your destination!** You don’t even have to let Rogers know that you’ve left the country. When you arrive in the U.S., you’ll receive a Welcome SMS (free text message), where you’ll be informed about the new pay-per-use pricing. Any day that you use the internet, you’ll be charged $7.99 and have access to 50 MBs for a 24-hour period. In the extraordinary case that you use more than 50 MB in the 24-hour period, don’t panic! You can continue to use the internet, and an additional $7.99 for up to an additional 50 MB will be added to your account, for use within the current 24-hour period. It’s perfect for those shorter trips to our neighbours south of the border, and provides cost certainty throughout your trip.

For more information, visit rogers.com/usroaming.

* Taxes extra. Rate available while roaming in the US (including Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands) for data usage within a 24hr period starting with the first byte of usage and subject to change without notice. If usage exceeds the initial 50MB within that 24hr period, additional charges of $7.99 will apply for access to each incremental 50MB during the same 24hr period. Subject to Rogers Terms of Service and Acceptable Use Policy. **Customers in Quebec and Newfoundland who subscribed to a fixed term agreement with Rogers (between June 30, 2010 and May 7, 2013 for Quebec customers and between September 27, 2012 and May 7, 2013 for Newfoundland customers) must complete a one-time set-up to subscribe to this pay-per-use rate. © 2013 Rogers Communications.

comments

238 thoughts on “Rogers Releases New Flat Rate U.S. Roaming Internet Rate

BiLCazdy, on said:

This seemed like a great idea when my wife and I took a recent trip to New York City. I was notified by text message that my first 50mb had been initiated and that I would be charged the $8… cool. Then another message warning me I was getting close to the end of that 50mb… cool. Then later in our hotel room (where I had paid another room charge to enable wi-fi for our stay) my iPhone decided that it didn’t like the wi-fi and kicked out to roam on the network.. I didn’t catch that, and in the meantime thinking we were on wi-fi we didn’t worry too much about what we were downloading.. and I actually enabled my phone as a wifi network.. apparently a no no in the hotels’s setup.. not sure, but my theory is that is why my phone bumped back to 3G.. ..still, nothing huge but maybe a youtube video or something.. honestly i can’t even remember. A month later, I get the Rogers bill for an extra $180 in roaming charges, with no more text messages warning.. just the ‘Hey, you roamed.. you owe us..’…
need to pay more attention.. live and learn…
what a waste of money.

olex, on said:

How about when you are using a Windows phone and Nokia maps in the US? You can use the maps offline (something you can’t do with iPhone or Android devices) with no data connection needed, but my understanding is that to initiate the maps while there it uses the online data connection briefly. If so, does that mean that the daily $7.99 rate is charged automatically even when no actual roaming is taking place?
BTW where is all the Windows phone advise?

Tim O'Sullivan, on said:

By not giving their customers the option of opting out of this plan shows the real intent of the plan is to generate more revenue for Rodgers. I think many customers are small data users like my self, who previously would not come close to using $7.99 worth of data a day. Rodgers has taken good care of these users !!

Hi Tim,
    Thank you for your comment. If you don’t want to be charged the $7.99, please ensure the data roaming on your device is set to off, or turn your device off before crossing the border.

Kevin Backs, on said:

A suggestion… Here’s a plan I’d be happy with: $0.99 per 5MB of roaming data in a 24 hour period with an addition $0.99 each time the user hits the 5MB limit – much like the current plan, but at a slightly higher cost per MB while significantly reducing the cost for more casual users. Add an SMS warning when the limit is being approached, and some sort of opt-out that would allow users to shut off their roaming data easily and I think it will be much more acceptable.

MarkL, on said:

What they don’t tell you here is that there are still roaming rates for text and talk.

Jill Salus, on said:

I find this new pricing offensive. $8 per day? I will changing carriers as soon as my plan is up.

Brock, on said:

This sounds like a terrible plan. I do not use 50 mb when I travel and I certainly don’t want to be charged for using 1MB if that is all that I use. If this happens I will switch to Bell. THey have already approached me to have my iPhone and iPad under one account and the roaming data bundle on my phone is far better than this. To say the charge is lower than "pay-per-use model" is very misleading because all you have to do is call and you can get 50mb for cheap and you don’t have to use it all in one day. Often I only use 50 mb in a week in the US as I am on Wifi frequently.

lily creeley, on said:

Rogers…I had read somewhere that I could get my phone unlocked for $50.00 and then roaming would be free. If this is true, why would anyone want to pay $7.99/day.

Donna Hawthorne, on said:

I always put my iphone on airplane mode when travelling. I plugged it into my laptop to charge it and got a message that I was roaming. How is that possible when I did not change the setting? Will you be charging me $7.99?

Andy, on said:

Be warned if you are a low volume user! I had my Blackberry on while I was travelling in the US for just over two weeks. I was charged, by default, $127 for 16 days for using just 1MB of volume (for emails). Effectively I had paid for up to 800MB of data, without realizing it.

I was so annoyed by this I decided to cancel my Blackberry plan altogether. Previous trips to the US had been much cheaper.

This is a great plan for Rogers’ shareholders, but not so much for its light-usage customers who travel.

Sadstorey, on said:

Am I able to access this with my ipad? I do not have the ipad set up under any Rogers plan at this time, only my phone has a data plan. Is there an app that I can download to have access to this?

V. Simonian, on said:

What if I don’t use 50 MB in one day, can I use the rest the next day or like 50 MB for 3-4 days if I can manage.
thanks

Hi V,
    Sorry, the 50MB is only good for a 24-hour period, even if you don’t use all the data. At the end of that period, you’ll be charged another $7.99. Thanks.

greg, on said:

My wife and I both have Blackberrys and enjoy the compressed data using BBM messaging. We can go to any city in the US and BBM each other all day, all week for about $4 worth of data for the entire week. $8 a day isn’t good for BB users. How do I opt out of this per day rate? Or do I have to change companies who are more reasonable and BB friendly? Clearly Rogers is NOT BB friendly.

Hi Greg,

Bob, on said:

If I take my laptop in to a US motel with free wi-fi and access the internet, will this roaming charge apply?

Hi Bob,
    Thank you for your inquiry. The charge should not apply if you’re using WiFi – by using WiFi, you won’t be using data on your phone plan.

Bob Clements, on said:

If I take my laptop into a US motel with free Wi-Fi and use it for e-mail only, will this charge apply?

Kim, on said:

When did this roaming rate take effect?

May I assume May 13 (when this was posted), or earlier. If yes, then why was I billed $195.21 in roaming charges for my trip to the US on May 16?

And why was my original comment posted on June 4, explaining all of the issues with Rogers’ monthly 100MB data passes removed from your wall?

Critical perhaps, but not unfounded. And if any of my facts were incorrect, I would appreciate a direct follow up. First rule of community management – NEVER delete a consumer post.

Hi Kim,
    Our customer service representatives on Twitter (@RogersHelps) or Facebook (facebook.com/rogers), can help you with this inquiry. Thanks.

Heather, on said:

If I go to the USA for two days and only receive and make calls, not use internet, am I charged $7.99 per day

Elaine, on said:

So, I am only charged the $7.99 for the days I use it? If I switch roaming off (data) on my phone, I will not be charged?

Hi Elaine,
    Yes, for $7.99 a day (a day being 24 hours) customers get access to 50 MB of data for use over a 24-hour period while travelling in the U.S. Disabling data roaming would not incur roaming charges.

Mary, on said:

This is really good news. Now how about the talk on phone part. How much?

Rachel, on said:

I live on a border city and sometimes you charge me as roaming, even when I’m in Canada. Up until now I haven’t cared about a $0.30 extra charge here and there on my bill. I have a feeling I’m now going to be calling you every month now to correct this issue.
This is a great idea, but would be better if it was something we could add onto our service if we know we’re going to be heading to the states rather than an automatic charge.

Kyla, on said:

I totally agree with you Rachel! I travel back and forth from Alberta to Montana frequently and I turn on my data quickly sometimes to check emails. The slight charge that I have incurred in the past to do so was no big deal. Now every time I turn it on it will be a $7.99 charge. This should be an option of either, or once it gets to the $7.99 worth it should just transfer to that until you hit 50MB.

Donna Nicholson, on said:

What are your charges for texting in the US as I don’t subscribe to Internet on my phone.

ConnectedStaff, on said:

Hi Donna, You can use voice pay-per-use in the U.S. – the rate is $1.45/mn, but you can also go for a talk and text pass. You can find details/pricing info on travel package types for talk and text here: http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=AppsAddons&category=12

Be sure to narrow your search by clicking on "Travel in the U.S." If you’re only interesting in texting, you may want to consider getting a U.S. Text Message Travel Pass – details for this can also be found in the link above. Thanks.

Kim, on said:

DIssapointing! I don’t want to pay $7.99 just to check my email once….there is people who don’t want to sit on their phone while on holidays!! You should still have a small plan, that allows people to do a small amount of surfing ……

Craig, on said:

Roaming should be free. Even if Roger’s charged 0.99 cents/day they would make a fortune.

John, on said:

How about taking my iPhone 4 to UK and Ireland or would that be total madness?

Susan White, on said:

Since my Rogers service is for my iPad, not a cell phone, what will you send in lieu of the text messages?

Hi Susan,
    Unfortunately, iPads cannot send/receive text messaging. We recommend you reset your iPad usage tracker when you arrive at your destination. This will help you keep track of your usage and in turn spend while travelling. Thanks for your comment.

Shannon, on said:

This seems steep to me – if I’m in the states on vacation for 2 weeks, I have to pay $7.99/day and that’s regardless of whether or not I use the full 50MB? That’s $111.86 plus taxes! Previously I would just buy a package for $30-ish and it would send reminders if I was getting close. Shouldn’t this service be based on usage? What am I missing here?

Johanne, on said:

I totally agree. I used to pay $50/month while I travelled to the US. I never had to pay this outrageous price. Rogers, is anyone in your world looking at all the negative comments and rethinking this? Please give me a break.

Bruce, on said:

"it’s almost twice the data a typical Rogers wireless customer uses in Canada each day" – can you provide evidence to back this up? Why not create an unlimited plan, voice and data for $20 a day?

Allan, on said:

What about if I receive a text message? Will that trigger the $7.99 charge?

Hi Allan,
    No. This rate covers data or roaming internet only. To view our talk and text package options while roaming, please visit http://www.rogers.com/m/usa at no charge on your phone (or text ‘travel’ to 7626). Thanks.

uly, on said:

how about roaming for cell phone when i’m in the U S

Judy, on said:

I live right near the border and cross regularly. I often use data for one or two minutes, to make a quick check on something, which certainly does not add up to $7.95 plus tax. Is it not possible to continue with those minimum charges or are we now forced to pay $7.95 a day automatically?

Hi Judy,
    As soon you use the internet (1 byte), you’ll be automatically charged $7.99. In comparison to current pricing ($6/MB), this will provide you access to much more internet (50MB) usage. We’ve added tons more value because we know that you use more than 1MB per day at home. So feel free to use the internet just like you normally would while travelling. Thank you for your inquiry.

Joe, on said:

Judy, I agree with you. I live on a border city (see my comment) and cross into the US daily. If I use just 1KB of data I will be charged $8.

$8/ day for 21 days a month that I cross will now add $168 to my monthly bill where as on the $6/MB pay-per-use plan I was spending just $20/month on US roaming charges.

Rogers, Please allow border city customers that commute daily to the US to opt out of this automatic charge.

Lucky Bobeta, on said:

Finally. Make same for Europe please!

Steve, on said:

There should be an option for less usage per day, like 25MB and half the price for those of us that just want to receive our emails without always looking for for Wifi.

Joe, on said:

For those that live in a border city: I travel to the US almost daily for 2 -4 hours each time. If I receive just 1 message while in the US, I will be automatically charged $7.99.
I would much rather pay the $0.006/KB than be charged $7.99 for using less than 100KB during the 2 hours I’m in the US.

I will enjoy this service when vacationing in the US, but not as a daily commuter.

How do I opt out of the automatic service charge?

Henry, on said:

I’m in the same situation where I am living in a border town and making short trips to the US. I would suggest turning off data roaming on your phone for the short trips, then you will not be charged for any data usage.

If you have an iPhone, go to Settings/General/Cellular and make sure Data Roaming is off. I don’t know what the setting is on Android phones, but they’ll have the same option. Then just turn it back on when you want to access data on longer trips.

Kim, on said:

I totally agree with you….we go down camping…in certainly don’t want to pay $7.99 to check mail!

Hi Kim,

Jarvis Wedley, on said:

Is this program limited to texting or does it include phone calls?

Hi Jarvis,

Elizabeth, on said:

I am leaving for Italy for 3 weeks, and would like to know what is the best Roaming package for Europe, and how do I activate it?

Donna Mackevicius, on said:

FANTASTIC. Thank you Rogers for making travelling so much easier, and returning home and NOT finding an exorbitant bill waiting for you is even better.

Shirley, on said:

Well….its not brilliant. It’s still pretty expensive. It says for data….what about a phone call?

Hi Shirley,

Alison, on said:

I will be working in the US for 15 days in June. Would I not be better off getting one of the monthly US packages?

Hi Alison,
    With this new pricing model, we will no longer be offering U.S. Roaming data passes. If you’re travelling to other countries besides the U.S., data passes will still be available. Thank you for your comment.

Steph, on said:

So if I go over to the states regularly and I just have to use my phone to trigger this charge? I’d rather not have a charge if I click on my facebook over there by habit and suddenly you are charging me 8 bucks. How do I stop you from charging me for something I don’t want?

Hi Steph,

Andy McClellan, on said:

Is there a similar rate for phone only use?

PL, on said:

So, if I understand this correctly, if I live in southern BC, and I am nearer to a US tower than a BC tower, and I make only 1 phone call during the day, I will now be charged $7.99 for the roaming charge for that 1 phone call?

Hi PL,

John Engel, on said:

Does this plan work for my Rogers internet stick?
If I use the internet stick in the U.S. the same day as my iphone, do I get charged $7.99 for two uses, or just one?

Hi John,
    Yes, but each device will be charged separately. Thank you for your inquiry.

Gordon Fry, on said:

I don’t use me phone for internet . What rate applies for person to person calls?

Gabe, on said:

Does the rate decrease with the amount of usage?

Hi Gabe,
    No. If you exceed 50MB within the 24-hour period, the rate of $7.99/50MB will continue to apply until the 24-hour period expires. Thank you for your inquiry.

tom, on said:

what have u heard about synching an Z10 to microsoft contacts and calender? still waiting for an app for that?

Adrian Rombouts, on said:

How about a roaming package for Europe on my iPhone?

Adrian Rombouts, on said:

Has Rogers got a roaming package for my laptop. We are going to go to England then by train to Italy to board a Holland America ship.

Gerard, on said:

If I am in the states for 1 day, I get charged $7.99/day for 50Mb. And if I go over 50Mb, I get charged $16/day. But if I stay for 2 days, do I get charged $16 for 2 days for 100Mb or is it still 50Mb? Does the 50Mb carry over the next day?

Hi Gerard,
    You will be charged $7.99 for 50MB of data for each 24-hour period. You will get a text message alert when you’re approaching 45% of that limit. If you use more than the 50MB in that period, you will be charged $7.99 for another 50 MB of data. The data does not carry over to the next day. Thanks.

Lili Shain, on said:

I rarely use 50 mb in two weeks when I am away, since I just pick up a few e-mails a day. Are you telling me that I will now pay 7.99 per day for such minimal usage?

Hi Lili,

Deborah, on said:

Where do we find the form to complete for Quebec residents

Greg, on said:

What about thise of us who live in border towns. I live in Windsor. For my phone I have roaming out to Poniac, but data. I can sit in a park be the river and get U.S towers. I have had to turn off data roaming on my Iphone. Can’t use some apps in my own city let alone another

Joseph MacDonald, on said:

I just have a regular phone. Is there a plan where just regular calls are made?

Deb, on said:

Does this apply to calls I make on my cellphone? How about text messages?

Charles Kim, on said:

Why so expensive?
I just want to use it emergency call.
How much is thar for such as to say;

I am here; where are you; see you at airport; etc.

Is that requiresd to pay $8?
Charles

Hi Charles,

Brian, on said:

How are sending and receiving phone calls impacted by this? Do LD rates apply? If you leave your phone on, but don’t use it either to send or receive a call, what will you be charged? Thanks.

Hi Brian,
    Thanks for your comment. This rate covers data or roaming internet only. To view our talk and text package options while roaming, please visit http://www.rogers.com/m/usa at no charge on your phone (or text ‘travel’ to 7626).

Heather, on said:

What about just phone charges?

Hi Heather,

David, on said:

Ok, so I pay $7.99 per day to get 50MB while roaming in the US… I’m assuming it means "that day". So if I use 25 MB one day and then 25 MB the second day, then it’s $7.99 per day? In other words, you can use up to 50 MB that day, but if you don’t lose it you lose it? Will this be based on the time zone that you’re in? I sometimes visit family on the border of Indiana and Illinois and it always messes up the time since it straddles the Eastern and Central time zones. This is a great initiative that will save some people who aren’t careful a lot of money in inadvertent roaming charges, but can’t we get more data than that? I’d really like to see more than 50MB.
Thanks.

Mike Breault, on said:

Thanks Rogers,

I believe you’ve just provided me the solution to my problem. Your $8 fee on those days that I choose to use the internet while in the States is a good deal to me.

You seem to be working hard at providing for your customers, again, thank you.

Laura von Hausen, on said:

What about if one lives close to the border and crosses regularly. There’s no way one would want to pay a 7.99$ hit each time one crosses the border. If you have already charged me for my cross border trip yesterday, please remove the charges. This could be another money grab unless you make some changes or unless I need a better explanation of this new system.

nLight, on said:

Still expensive. But will come in handy in emergencies.

Cindy, on said:

this is what I call customer-centric service!

Mandy Paine, on said:

does this apply to accounts that pay $11.50 monthly,I usually have $50/$60 dollars credit on my account and during my last trip to the states May 19/20/21/23 I ran out of credit and had a really hard time with Rogers trying to reinstate my account

Pete K, on said:

What happens if I am in the US and my phone receives a text message or does this need to be turned off and if so how do I do this on an iPhone?

Shirley Reise, on said:

I see that the roaming refers to internet, texting, etc. How does it change in just the telephone service, since that is all I have?

Hi Shirley,

Victor J, on said:

It’s a step in the right direction, now what can you do about the phone call rates when we get to the US? Local and Long Distance.

Grahame, on said:

Seems a little expensive for such a few mb’s when you can use wifi hotspots as i did when in San Francisco recently…. Further what about cheaper rates for calls in the U.S.A ?

Jill Noakes, on said:

When I return from the US will the daily roaming charge automatically stop as I cross back into Canada?

Jim, on said:

Good idea, long overdue.
Price structure for going over 50 mb should be half price for half usage, i.e. 4.00 for each 25 mb over 50 mb.
What about phone calls, are they still subject to roaming charges ?

Hi Jim,
    Thank you for your comment. This rate covers data or roaming internet only. To view our talk and text package options while roaming, please visit http://www.rogers.com/m/usa at no charge on your phone (or text ‘travel’ to 7626).

Karen, on said:

Is this per individual phone line or shared? I have 3 phones on a family plan.

Judi, on said:

This sounds great! So, just to be clear: $7.99 is for the 50mb – not for a discounted rate on the 50mb? And, if you use less than 50mb over, say, 2 days, then you get charged $7.99 x2?

This could be fantastic!

Naomi Ridout, on said:

Does this rate include the use of the phone for actual phone calls to US and Canadian numbers? If not, how much does that cost?

Glen, on said:

I believe I’ll be better off spending my $7.99 for a couple off nice cups of coffee at internet cafes or better yet there are many free wi fi sites.

Sid, on said:

Just wondering what are the fee towards roaming into Mexico. I am traveling to Cabo San Lucas at the end of june and looking for rates towards cell usage. From texting and phone service.

Geoffrey Prabhu, on said:

But what if I do not have a ‘smart’ phone and only want to use my rogers cell for telephone calls from the US? Is there a special rate for this?
Thanks.

Scott Wilton, on said:

Hi: I normally shut my data off on my Rogers phone while in the US & use wifi when in my hotel rooms. I do not want to be charged 7.99 per day without my ok. I am used to receiving a text message when I arrive in the US from Rogers. Will I be given the option of declining this $7.99 roaming plan?
Thanks

Hi Scott,
    The rate kicks in as soon as your first byte of usage in the U.S. If you don’t want to be charged the $7.99, ensure the data roaming on your device is set to off, or turn your device off before crossing the border. Thanks.

john, on said:

Why not make voice that simple while roaming the U.S.?

jeanine, on said:

I don’t use data, but worry about texting and my phone trying to roam in the states,, does the 7.99 cover that?

Sandra, on said:

Does it include texting?

Hi Sandra,

Mike Archambault, on said:

I winter in Florida – it woujd be nice if there was an inexpensive alternative for me to use my cell phone there and not have to leave it at home! Will there ever be an inexpensive option to address this?

Hi Mike,
    This rate covers data or roaming internet only. To view our talk and text package options while travelling, please visit http://www.rogers.com/m/usa at no charge on your phone (or text ‘travel’ to 7626). Thanks.

Morris, on said:

Do long distance charges apply?

Hi Morris,

Bunty, on said:

Will the previous packages still be available for those of us without a data plan? In my calculation, if I am in the US for a month, the old US Travel plan was a lot cheaper at about $35 or $45 for the month. $8 plus tax can be rounded to $10 a day, which over the course of a month can be quite extensive. Sounds worse to me.

Hi Bunty,
    With this new pricing model, we will no longer be offering U.S. Roaming data passes. If you’re travelling to other countries besides the U.S., data passes will still be available. Thank you for your inquiry.

Deb, on said:

My phone is just a phone. No internet. Does the same roaming charge apply?

Hi Deb,
    No, this rate covers data or roaming internet only. To view our talk and text package options while roaming, please visit http://www.rogers.com/m/usa at no charge on your phone (or text ‘travel’ to 7626). Thank you for your inquiry.

Jeff, on said:

Any plans to reduce your talk and text charges when roaming in US? Will your data roaming work with Blackberries? In the past, when traveled to US, I used a SIM card from Roam Mobility and their data roaming didn’t work for Blackberries. If your roaming plan works for BB you should really highlight this fact in advertising…

helen braine, on said:

That 7.99 doesn’t sound like a deal to me. That comes to 250.00 for the month.

Kimberley, on said:

I live in a border town and pop back and forth a couple times a during the warmer months. Does that mean every time I go I will be charged $7.95?

That works out to an additional $70 per month which is costly for an hour trip.

Is there another plan for more frequent travellers to the US?

Hi Kimberley,
    Our new roaming pricing model gives you 40x more internet than our current pay-per-use rate. That’s why we’ve decided to convert all customers to this new pricing model to ensure that everyone has access to our lowest U.S. internet rates available. No more worrying about which internet offer is best or even comparing packages. You won’t even have to sign up – it’s automatically available. Thanks for your comments.

Betty, on said:

Do you have any specials for people who just want to use their cell phones while traveling?

stew, on said:

i live near the boarder and if i go for a gas run and use 10 mb and u charge me 7.99 i will not be happy

stew, on said:

i live near the boarder and if you charge me 7.99 just because i happen to use 10 mb on a quick gas run i will not be happy

Hi Stew,

Wayne, on said:

what would the charges be for making regular telephone calls only?

robin daniels, on said:

I believe that this daily charge of $7.99 X 7 days for a one week trip will be more than the long distance roaming that I was previously charged for when I didn’t take out a roaming package. I always try to connect to WiFi when I am travelling so as not to use data and get the roaming charges, but there are those times when I have no WiFi access and do use some data. It sounds as if I will automatically get charged approximately $56 plus tax for a typical one week trip which is a much higher fee than I have been charged in the past. Can I "opt out " of this new program of automatically being charged when roaming is first detected?

Hi Robin,

Kerri, on said:

This is a great idea I just wish the old plans would quit disappearing. There used to be a US/Canada plan that was 500mb that could be added for a month which was perfect for my travel needs. Can we get that back? The cheapest monthly plan now with data for US travel is $100.

Frank Colautti, on said:

Think this is a great idea but what so long to come to it

Marilyn, on said:

How much are the text msg charges and will the U.S. also have extra carrier charges for roaming like they usually do?

Hi Marilyn,

Judy, on said:

If you share a plan with more than one device will each device be billed $7.99 a day or can you use any of your devices for one $7.99 charge.

Irwin, on said:

Are outgoing text messages included in the $7.99/day rate?

Hi Irwin,
    No, This rate covers data or roaming internet only. To view our talk and text package options while roaming, please visit http://www.rogers.com/m/usa at no charge on your phone (or text ‘travel’ to 7626). Thanks.

Brian, on said:

What about phone calls back home from the US?
Wasn’t the old rate $80 per month. Are there still longer term plans.

Hi Brian,

Sam, on said:

It’s good news but should have weekly or monthly packages. It’s better for us travellers. Thank you.

Evelyn, on said:

I think this is great!
Having said that, if texting is data usage, why isn’t texting included in the 50 mb for $7.99?

Hi Evelyn,

Lianne, on said:

Do I have to pre arrange this if I’m going to the USA or can I just use my data while I am there and be charged accordingly?

PS Thank you, I live in a border town and spend a lot of time in the USA Brilliant!

Hi Lianne,
    The $7.99 rate automatically kicks in as soon as you cross the border, you don’t have to purchase in advance. However, talk and text is not included in this rate, so if you will require that while away, you’d have to purchase a travel pack before your trip. Thanks.

sims, on said:

how about roaming in europe? and uk?

Donna, on said:

Still too expensive – especially if all you do is send one or two text messages home to family in one day.

Hi Donna,

Alex, on said:

Awesome, now how about a reasonable rate for Europe? Please!

Gavin, on said:

Just so there is NO confusion……this is a daily charge. So if I use only 10MB on my first day. and 15 MB on my second day and 5MB on my third day and 50 MB on my fourth day and 3 MB on my fifth day…..I will be charged $7.99 + tax no matter how small my daily usage is?

Hi Gavin,
    Yes, the 50MB is only good for a 24-hour period, even if you don’t use all the data. At the end of that period, you’ll be charged another $7.99.

Jamie, on said:

I just used it in Chicago of 24 hours on my 3G ipad (Rogers plan). I assume I will get billed 7.99 this month? There was no SMS message as it was an ipad!

Hi Jamie,

For answers regarding your bill, please reach out to our customer service representatives on Twitter (@RogersHelps) or Facebook (facebook.com/rogers) – they’ll be happy to help. Thanks.

Vince Cerruto, on said:

If I’m in the US for 14 days will I be charged every day even if I don’t use my phone on a certain day or am I charged only when I use it.

Hi Vince,

This rate covers data or roaming internet only. To view our talk and text package options while roaming, please visit http://www.rogers.com/m/usa <http://www.rogers.com/m/usa&gt; at no charge on your phone (or text ‘travel’ to 7626). Thank you.

Ed Desormo, on said:

Do you have a special package deal for the UK. We are travelling to Ireland and Scotland in a months time and will be way for approximately 5 weeks?

Pam Hommy, on said:

I will be in the states for 4 days and require texting ability only. How much will that cost me? Thanks.

rp, on said:

The first 50mb make sense, but the 2nd 50mb doesn’t.

Let’s say I start using internet at 1pm, and finished the first 50mb at 11pm, but I keep using it, so the 2nd $7.99 will be charged and I have additional 50mb. However, this 2nd 50mb should last till next day 11pm, not next day 1pm!

Ram Shrivats, on said:

Will this charge apply if we only use WIFI on some days?

Hi Ram,
    For $7.99 a day (a day being 24 hours) customers get access to 50 MB of data for use over a 24-hour period while travelling in the U.S. – Disabling data roaming would not incur roaming charges. Thanks.

Linda, on said:

To be clear, this is only data and does not include any phone calls or texts?

Hi Linda,
    Yes, this rate covers data or roaming internet only. To view our talk and text package options while roaming, please visit http://www.rogers.com/m/usa at no charge on your phone (or text ‘travel’ to 7626). Thanks.

Irit, on said:

is the 7.99 includes text and calls while travel to canada or i have to purchase it for extra charges?

Hi Irit,
    This rate covers data or roaming internet only when travelling to the U.S. To view our talk and text package options while roaming, please visit http://www.rogers.com/m/usa at no charge on your phone (or text ‘travel’ to 7626). Thanks.

Mseh, on said:

If I already subscribe to an old plan that allows me to use my data in the US, anytime, I’m still good, right?

Hi Mseh,
    If your plan already includes US data roaming you will continue to be charged at your plan rate for roaming (not $7.99/day). Thanks.

howard green, on said:

if one is planning on being in the USA for 2 weeks, can you buy roaming access for certain days within the 2 weeks for $7.99 per day?

Hi Howard,

Jay M, on said:

Is there any plans to offer a monthly package rather than daily packages? These packages are not useful/feasilble for people that live in Canada but work in the US.

Hi Jay,
    Our new roaming pricing model gives you 40x more internet than our current pay-per-use rate. That’s why we’ve decided to convert all customers to this new pricing model to ensure that everyone has access to our lowest U.S. internet rates available. No more worrying about which internet offer is best or even comparing packages. You won’t even have to sign up – it’s automatically available. Thanks.

Kyle, on said:

Hi. I currently have the $10 per month US roaming add-on which gives me a lower rate on roaming. This new offer sounds like it would be cheaper. Should I cancel my $10 add-on?

Hi Kyle,
    We’d be happy to discuss that with you. Please reach out to our customer care team so we can help you make an informed decision. Thanks.

Evelyn, on said:

Are the Hawiian Islands included? Thanks!

Hi Evelyn,
    Yes they are. It’s applicable in the United States (including Alaska and Hawaii), Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands. Thanks.

Trisha, on said:

What about texting?

k Morrison, on said:

We are in Florida for 4 months during the winter and need a flat rate for US Internet Roaming fees for that period. Your web site doesn’t answer that question, as you have stated that you only have a daily user rate ($8) which is pretty steep for longer periods of time. What is the answer, if you wish to retain our business?

Hi K Morrison,

Pat, on said:

Bring us phone use and Internet for that rate. That would be useful!

Alyssa, on said:

Will you notify us if we approach 50 MB? Presumably based on your data breakdown (# of emails, etc.) for normal use/not watching video this shouldn’t be a problem but I’d hate to think I was spending $7.99 a day and get home to find out it was more.

Hi Alyssa,
    To help you keep track, you’ll be sent an automated text as you near the first 50 MB that you use in a 24-hour period. You can find more information about Rogers new U.S. Roaming Internet Rate here: http://www.rogers.com/usroaming

Thanks for your comment.

Rod Ireland, on said:

Where does this leave phone calls in the USA, which are a ridiculous rate.?

Andy, on said:

Does this apply to iPads with a Rogers’ simcard also?

Hi Andy,
    Unfortunately, iPads cannot send/receive text messaging. We recommend you reset your iPad usage tracker when you arrive at your destination. This will help you keep track of your usage and in turn spend while travelling. Thanks.

Peter, on said:

Any accommodation like the US for the UK?

Kojo, on said:

This is still very expensive. Please let go some of your huge profits. My offer is $9.99/month.

Cruise, on said:

Good, but $7.99/day??? Really???

Denise Johnson, on said:

I was wondering if this charge of $7.99 is for the month. Also if we are there for only two weeks in a year can we just be charged for that one time we are there or is this a monthly charge? Please let me know I am a little confused.

Kristine, on said:

Thanks Rogers…Brilliant

Tom Geldart, on said:

What are the changes to roaming fees for the use cell phones in the United States, have they been changed as well?

Hi Tom,
    This rate covers data or roaming internet only. To view our talk and text package options while roaming, please visit http://www.rogers.com/m/usa at no charge on your phone (or text ‘travel’ to 7626). Thank you.

darrell penner, on said:

What about making phone calls on my cell phone while in the US? Costs? Thanks.

Darlene Quaife, on said:

It’s Time! Time to make things " easy" for your customers. Your new roaming program is a start.

Karen, on said:

Do you have flat rate roaming charges for using the phone for phone calls in the US and across Canada? I don’t use my phone for the internet. I have computers and tablets for that.

I use a pay-as-you-go phone in Toronto and I plan on doing the same thing when I go to the US. But I am wondering if Rogers has a better option.

Mark, on said:

Are you still offering month passes? I hope so! The 20 MB pass for one month for $30 was all I needed. Or the 100 MB pass for $50 for heavier use.

Dave Allery, on said:

Great plan for short trips. However, I travel south for a couple of months every winter (Snowbird).
I’m not paying $480 for Rogers Internet.
What do you have for trips of a month or more that one can afford?

Hi Dave,
    Compared to our current pay-per-use rate of $6 per MB in the U.S., our new rate of $7.99/50 MB will provide customers with access to 40x more internet for the same price. 50 MB is nearly twice the data that the average customer uses domestically – it’s approximately 50 maps (non-3D), 200 web pages, 1,000 emails, or over 5,000 tweets. Customers will be able to use their phones while travelling just like at home. Thanks.

Yvonne, on said:

Thank you Rogers.

Andre Dupuis, on said:

This is fine for the Internet, what about cell phone users?

Hi Andre,

Alan Russell, on said:

3 questions. Can a pay as u go account work the same way for the U.S. roaming and the money deducted from the balance on the phone?

$7.99 for 24 hours, is that 12:01 am to 12.00pm or is it from the time that the roaming commences ? and does that time start with switching the phone on or with either the first received call or transmitted call? Thank you

@RogersNicolas, on said:

Hi Alan, this rate is only available for postpaid customers but prepaid ones can buy add-ons ahead of time. The way it works is that upon your first byte of usage you will be charged $7.99. This will provide you with 50 MB that is available to use for 24 hours. If usage exceeds 50 MB within the 24 hour period, an additional charge of $7.99 will apply for access to another 50 MB during the same 24 hour period. Additional charges of $7.99 will not extend that 24 hour period.

Nesta Newnham, on said:

About the flat rate roaming in the USA, what about snowbirds who go south for 5 months in the winter. what have you to offer them.
Nesta.