by

Day 1

Arrived at Newark Liberty Airport in New Jersey. After stepping off the plane, I received a welcome text message from Rogers. It let me know that I was roaming, and included the applicable roaming rates. Know what’s great? I immediately noticed that Rogers has a new $7.99 daily rate (for up to 50 MB* – way more than I usually use at home!) for using internet on my device. And you don’t need to purchase an internet option before you leave Canada.** I didn’t even have to sign up – that roaming internet rate was applied to my account already. All I had to do was use my phone like I usually do and not worry about signing up or high fees. From the airport, I took the AirTrain into Manhattan, then cabbed it to my hotel – a walk-up in Chelsea that’s seen better days, but the price was right. Had to text mom to let her know I got in alright. Explored the area, including the amazing High Line Park, with the New York City Guide app (iOS, BlackBerry, Android) on my smartphone. Normally, I’d worry about going online with my smartphone when travelling in the U.S., but this time, remembering that text from Rogers, I knew I was using the new U.S. Roaming Internet Rate from Rogers, so I wasn’t concerned at all. I was famished so I gobbled up a margherita pizza at Donatella (photo promptly sent to all my friends via Instagram, of course!) and crashed into bed. Zzzzzz.

Day 2

Slept in! Caught up on email. Checked Yelp.com on my device for brunch reviews, and picked Jane in Greenwich Village. The French toast was worth the trip! Downloaded a subway app and Museum of Modern Art free app. Took the D train to the museum – great exhibit on Le Corbusier. Downloaded the TKTS app to check what shows are on, then bought a cheap ticket to the Spider-Man musical. Took pictures around Central Park until showtime. (Critics were wrong – the musical rocks!) Checked my wireless internet usage at the end of the day by texting USAGE to 3330. Hadn’t come close to exceeding the 50 MB I get with the new Rogers U.S. Roaming Internet Rate. Not that it would be a big deal if I did: I’d just pay $7.99 for an additional 50 MB for use within the current 24-hour period.

Day 3

Invited my friend Josh, who’s studying at NYU this summer, to a Mets game (I bought electronic tickets with my phone to avoid the line-up – thank goodness for that Rogers daily pay-per-use rate!). We took tons of goofy pictures and posted them on my Facebook page – just a couple of crazy Canadians in the cheap seats! Got some immediate comments on the pics and I even got a restaurant recommendation from a friend. Took my friend’s reco and grabbed a quick dinner with Josh. Then it was time to head back to the airport to catch my flight home. And you know the best part? With the Rogers U.S. Roaming Internet Rate, I know exactly what I am going to pay for my data roaming when I get back home. No surprises come bill time! See you next time, NYC!

To learn more about the new U.S. Roaming Internet Rate from Rogers, click here.

* Taxes extra. Rate available while roaming in the US (including Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands) for data usage within a 24-hour period starting with the first byte of usage and subject to change without notice. If usage exceeds the initial 50 MB within that 24-hour period, additional charges of $7.99 will apply for access to each incremental 50 MB during the same 24-hour period. Subject to Rogers Terms of Service and Acceptable Use Policy. **Customers in Quebec and Newfoundland who subscribed to a fixed term agreement with Rogers (between June 30, 2010 and May 7, 2013 for Quebec customers, and between September 27, 2012 and May 7, 2013 for Newfoundland customers) must complete a one-time set-up to subscribe to this pay-per-use rate. Text TRAVEL to 7626 or visit rogers.com/m/dus on your phone and follow the prompts.

©2013 Rogers Communications

comments

53 thoughts on “Roaming in New York City

Dmitriy, on said:

How about travelling on Canadian territory close to the US border? I know that phone could automatically pickup US phone providers even if I am on another side of the border. In this case would I be charged $7.99 a day too?

Hi Dmitriy,
    In those instances, you’ll want to disable data roaming on your device. You can also set your device to only pick up the Rogers network. Thanks for your comments.

Shiela, on said:

do you not have new roaming rates i.e. better rates, for the Sierra Wireless stick?

Hi Shiela,
    These rates also apply to wireless internet devices. Thanks for your comment.

Mat, on said:

What if you use the do not turn the wireless off and use it for say a day or 2. If you turn the wireless of after that, is it ok?

Hi Mat,
    You are charged $7.99 for a 24 hour period up to 50mbs. You are not billed so long as data is not being used after the 24 hour period. Thanks.

Betty, on said:

So charged the $7.99 and 4 messages cost me 31.96 – how does that work?

Hi Betty,
    As soon you use the internet (1 byte), you’ll be automatically charged $7.99. In comparison to current pricing ($6/MB), this will provide you access to much more internet (50MB) usage. We’ve added tons more value because we know that you use more than 1MB per day at home. So feel free to use the internet just like you normally would while travelling. This rate covers data or roaming internet only. If you don’t want to be charged the $7.99, please ensure the data roaming on your device is set to off. To view our talk and text package options while travelling, please visit http://www.rogers.com/m/usa at no charge on your phone (or text ‘travel’ to 7626). Thank you for your inquiry.

Ed, on said:

Should I be turning off both Data Roaming and Cellular Data to avoid the 7.99 charge or do I just have to turn off the Data Roaming on my IPhone 5?

Hi Ed,
    Yes – turning off both will work. Please remember that Rogers offers worry-free US roaming at 50MB for $7.99 per 24 hour period. Thanks.

John Moore, on said:

This is an improvement for day trips, but for longer stays it is higher than the previous $50 for 200 min flat rate packages. Scratch the surface and you’ll see that a two week stay will set you back $160 and a month comes to $320 plus taxes.

Not good enough Rogers

michele, on said:

PS sry didn’t no it posted :S … I’m going away for 4 days ,I would like to beable to receive and make calls same goes for txting? What do I do?

michele, on said:

what if I just what to receive calls and txted?

Jeremy Webb, on said:

When are you going to come up with a weekly or monthly roaming rate that makes it worth while? C’mon, Rogers, step up!

Bob fulford, on said:

These rates are not competitive with others in particular local purchased devices and air time in the area.

Tony B, on said:

You should have have data turned off if you decline, shouldn’t you?

I don’t think $7.99 is that great of a rate considering Canada already pays one of if not the highest for cell coverage in the world. A two week vacation would cost you $112 plus taxes. Sorry but that is not reasonable.

Hi Tony,

As soon you use the internet (1 byte), you’ll be automatically charged $7.99. In comparison to current pricing ($6/MB), this will provide you access to much more internet (50MB) usage. We’ve added tons more value because we know that you use more than 1MB per day at home. So feel free to use the internet just like you normally would while travelling. Thank you for your inquiry.

Cindy, on said:

Does anyone else think that $8.00 per day is expensive ?

Aanu, on said:

If you only want to use data for a few days while you are away, will you be able to terminate it, or will it continue to charge you?

Hi Aanu,
    If you don’t want to be charged the $7.99, please ensure the data roaming on your device is set to off, or turn your device off before crossing the border. Thanks.

Heather, on said:

This seems like a forced charge. We cross the Border and I leave my phone on as I am emergency contact. So now Rogers will ding me $7.99 !! That is outrageous.

Hi Heather,
    This rate covers data or roaming internet only. If you don’t want to be charged the $7.99, please ensure the data roaming on your device is set to off. Thanks.

Robert Lindsay, on said:

If I use my phone on day one and do not use it on day two. We go south for a month in the early spring. What would I be charged for day two.

Hi Robert,
    You will be charged $7.99 for 50MB of data for each 24-hour period. You will get a text message alert when you’re approaching 45% of that limit. If you use more than the 50MB in that period, you will be charged $7.99 for another 50 MB of data. The data does not carry over to the next day. Thanks for your comment.

Margaret Rutherford, on said:

I’m with Rogers and I pay $35.00 / month for Canada/US roaming up to my limit of 500 MB/month. I can use any amount any day no matter what country I am in. This sounds like a better plan to me

Lou, on said:

Do the same terms and rates apply to my iPad?

Hi Lou,
    Yes they do. With devices, you’ll be sent an SMS message informing you of your usage. However, iPads cannot send/receive text messaging. We recommend you reset your iPad usage tracker when you arrive at your destination. This will help you keep track of your usage while travelling. Thanks.

Shelley, on said:

So that works out to $112 PLUS taxes for a 2 week vacation even if I only send one text a day. Ridiculous.

Hi Shelley,
    This rate covers data or roaming internet only. If you don’t want to be charged the $7.99, please ensure the data roaming on your device is set to off, or turn your device off before crossing the border.

Beverley Jee, on said:

What you have not said in this announcement is if these new rates are higher or lower than what we were charged at other times.
It would be nice if you clarified this fact.

Hi Beverley,
    Compared to our current pay-per-use rate of $6 per MB in the U.S., the new rate of $7.99/50 MB will provide customers with access to much more internet for the same price. 50 MB is nearly twice the data that the average customer uses domestically – it’s approximately 50 maps (non-3D), 200 web pages, 1,000 emails, or over 5,000 tweets. Customers will be able to use their phones while travelling just like at home. Thanks for your comment.

cliff tate, on said:

Please explain in simple terms how this works!!

Trent, on said:

Wow, finally a common sense billing policy from Rogers, one that brings price down to meet demand. An appropriate price for an appropriate level of service. Very excited to hear this, nothing is worse than navigating through the US with a non-functional phone.

Might be a little pricey for a week long trip, but still in line with paying for hotel wireless.

Danny, on said:

is there the same kind of automatic roaming when travelling in Canada? ( from ones Canadian home base to any other Canadian city )

Hi Danny,
    There are no data roaming costs in Canada for Rogers customers connected to the Rogers network. Thanks for your comment.

Michael Doxtater, on said:

Does the Roaming fee cover both calls and texting?

Hi Michael,
    This rate covers data or roaming internet only. To view our talk and text package options while travelling, please visit http://www.rogers.com/m/usa at no charge on your phone (or text ‘travel’ to 7626). Thanks.

John Porter, on said:

Who uses only 50mb? thats like one youtube video. Automatic software updates (if you forget to turn them off) could end up costing you a lot. I’m surprised Rogers couldn’t negotiate a better deal with US carriers seeing how you can buy a no contract sim card with unlimited everything (nationwide) at US Walmarts for 45.00
Come on Rogers, you can do better for your customers.

Robert, on said:

Looks like a good deal when we go to New York. I will give it a try.

Edward, on said:

Does this mean you will be charged the daily rate if your phone is on but you do no browsing?
We only use text messaging when in the US.

Hi Edward,

Marco, on said:

Do you charge by plan and not by phone?

Hi Marco,
    If you share a plan with more than one device, each device will be charged separately. Thank you for your inquiry.

Jason, on said:

I think it would be way better if it was 7.99 for 50mb until the mb runs out.. every 24 hrs regardless if you dont use it is a bit much

Jeff Stimson, on said:

Although this is ok for short trips, I miss the ability to buy a block of data that Rogers offered previously.

Rogers offered a 1 month 100 MB US data pack for $50. If you’re on vacation for any length of time this comes in useful when wifi spots are not available.

However under the new plan, if I use no more than 1 byte of data a day for 6 days, I hit that same $50 mark. God forbid I go on a 2 week vacation, there’s $112 gone on the new daily plan. Imagine that, I could potentially pay $112 for 14 bytes of data.

If you wanted to actually give us options, you would have allowed us to choose how we do our data roaming. The new plan is not bad for short day trips, but totally sucks for extended travel.

ALLEN STEWART, on said:

As a widow having lost my wife two years ago, I am and have not ever been a big user of my phone for calls even at home. When I am in the US, I have a unlocked phone which I buy a sim card and around 60 minutes and that will last me a month or much more. So, as you can see for me this new rate of $7.99 per day is not good value for someone in my position. I would love to be able to use my Canadian phone in the US, but it just cost too much and I do not think the value is there. I would of course in an emergency do roaming regardless of what the rate is, but only then. For me I need a US package that is for phone only and is a monthly or even weekly rate that is acceptable. Its actually less expensive and not difficult to just buy a phone card in Canada and for $10, or $20 I get lots of minutes which are good for 6 months. Your roaming fees need to be much lower priced for me to be interested.

Doug Scott, on said:

Not sure that spending $8 a day for internet is all that worthwhile. Why not charge $8 for 50mb, no limit on number of days. For example, I start using my tablet at 4pm today, and use 10mb in 24 hours. At 5pm tomorrow night I should be able to continue using the remaining 40mb I paid for and not be charged an additional $8.

Judy, on said:

Hate this new $7.99 charge. As one who crosses the border for a few hours every week, I do turn off data roaming … however sometimes I need to turn it on for just one quick check of email, or to see a map, or whatever …. never used anywhere near $7.99 a day! Not happy.

Peter, on said:

This is a bit of a rip off…if you want to check your emails once a day and go to a few websites, it costs $7.99…I do not see what is so great about this.

richard field, on said:

day 2; last sentence, it says it will cost an additional $7.99 if the first 50MB
is used; not clear if this is an opt in thing or an opt out.

Hi Richard,
    If you don’t want to be charged the $7.99, ensure the data roaming on your device is set to off, or turn your device off before crossing the border. Thanks for your comment.